Selan

Selan

Hi! I'm Selan. I love anime, yuri, sci-fi & fantasy, Kirby and 90s JRPGs. Right now I'm trying to expand my collection of books.

MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/adrian_and_sela

Tumblr: magicalbeankingdom.tumblr.com

LiveJournal: http://adrian-and-sela.livejournal.com/

Twenty Questions for Gloria - Martyn Bedford I liked the premise of this book at first. Gloria is a teenager who has been missing for over two weeks, and the story starts out with the detectives interviewing her to uncover the whole story. It's a psychological thriller like that. The focus of the mystery is on Uman, the mysterious boy who turns up at school one day and whom she eventually ends up falling for. It's a slow, subtle thing, but the two of them end up running away together. And it spirals out of control, they start running out of food, run out of money, start stealing... Overall I did like it but I don't think this is exactly unique. I guess Uman is a unique character, but in the beginning he is VERY annoying. He talks like a smart-arse and acts like he's better than you, says stuff like "that teacher has lost her pedalogical mojo" I mean...what?? Maybe teenage girls find this attractive in guys or something? I honestly can't tell. Well, once you get halfway through the book and realise Uman has a tragic backstory and actually has more depth to his character, then he stops being so annoying. They make out that he lied to Gloria about various aspects of his life. And...he probably lied about one or two things, but it's not that drastic? So I don't know what they were getting at there. It is kinda romantic, the relationship between Gloria and Uman, and it did give me that bittersweet feeling of when something perfect and beautiful is split apart. I did really enjoy the ending too as well. But ni the end, it felt like nothing that dramatic happened anyway. They ran away together, they took it waaaay too far, and then...she finally came to her senses and came back home. I liked it, but Martyn Bedford has much better books.